In Early Years we teach the children through their play and direct teaching using a wide range of activities and resources. We aim to help your child become independent and reach their maximum potential. Through focused activities we begin teaching the children to read and write.
In an normal week your child will take part in daily Phonics lessons, Mathematics, Reading and Writing. Throughout the week they will also take part in P.E., Music, R.E., Art, Circle Time, PSHE, Understanding of the world and Information and Technology.
We teach the children through a range of different themes and topics over the year. These themes follow the children's interests:
• In the past topics have included Ourselves, Minibeasts, In the Garden, Aliens, Superheroes, Pirates, Under the Sea, Seaside, Countries, In the Wild.
• Books, including modern and traditional stories, rhymes and tales.
• Walks and visits have engaged the children's imagination and inspired them. These include a trip to Malvern Theatre to see the Panto, Christmas Tree Farm, arboretums, and a family trip to Weston Super mare to celebrate the year.
• We celebrate Chinese New Year, Diwali, Christmas, Easter, Harvest, Christingle and many more festivals.
• This list is just a sample of a year in Early Years - please contact school to visit our unit.
Helping your child at home
Your child will come home with a reading book. Reading at home is really important as it greatly increases the speed in which your child learn to read. We suggest reading five time a week and if you do this for a whole half term your child will receive a reading bug. It doesn't have to be longer than ten minutes a night, little and often is the best way. We want them to enjoy discovering reading if you ever have any concerns or would like some advice come and speak to one of us.
Before your child started you received a pack with lots of ideas in to help your child get ready for school. Many of these are still relevant and worth having a go at every so often.
When we begin our phonics work we will send home our special booklets which show you all the sounds your child will be learning and ways of practising these at home. There are also coloured words to learn.